Sunday night after travelling from Carnarvon to S Bend Caravan Park south of Geraldton , we enjoyed a yummy chicken pumpkin and rocket risotto for dinner. The pumpkin, basil and rocket used all came from Carnarvon farm gates.
Yesterday, we drove from The S Bend to Pam and Carson’s at Monte Casino farm just outside New Norcia (132ks from Perth). We are here for a week to chook, duck, dog and goldfish sit for them while they have a family holiday with Jess and Lewie in Bali. We stopped along the way to photograph a few wildflowers, but south of New Norcia should be better.
Carson kills and butchers his own sheep, and they’ve put aside a few lamb shanks in the freezer for us, plus suggested we can use any lamb we want through the week. Right now I’m cooking us a couple of shanks.
Pam has about 25 hens, and at the moment they are producing around 20 eggs a day. Pam said to brush up on our egg recipes, because they’re all ours!
The farm is lovely at the moment with thousands acres of canola and wheat looking fantastic. We took a drive around last night then went on up to “Goat Hill” to watch the sun set over the farm. It was absolutely stunning.
The farm owners have a couple of big old horses and I’ve been told by Grant that I’m welcome to take either of them for a ride when ever I want. That sounds like heaven to me.
Chicken, pumpkin and rocket risotto
- 1 small onion, diced small
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1 cup diced butternut pumpkin (about 1 cm cubes)
- 250g diced chicken breast, about 2cm dice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock, brought to the boil, then held at a simmer
- 2 tablespoons (or more if you like) toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 bunch rocket
- about 15 large basil leaves, torn
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- freshly ground black pepper, lots
- Heat the oil and sauté the onion until it’s tender. Add the garlic and sauté a couple of minutes more. add the rice, pumpkin and chicken and stir until the chicken changes colour.
- Pour in the wine and cook stirring until it evaporates. Start adding the chicken stock about a half cup at a time, cooking and stirring constantly until each 1/2 cup has evaporated.
- When the stock is gone and the rice and the pumpkin cooked, add in the remaining ingredients. Toss until the rocket is just wilted then serve. We had extra parmesan on ours.