We got the call at 4pm to tell us the rails had arrived, were fitted and we could pick our ute up. We did, the boat is now on the roof, and we’re on our way in the morning.
A couple of days ago, I suggested to Russ he should take me out for dinner on our last night here because we’ve been stuck here for a week. He suggested I could find something in the freezer and he’d cook me dinner instead (haha, fell for it again!). I found a pork belly, so he cooked me/us Caramelised Pork Belly over rice with an Asian Style Coleslaw on the side. I doubt we could have got better anywhere in town!
Caramelised Pork Belly
- 600g pork belly
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 star anise
- 1cm piece fresh ginger
- 4 tablespoons palm sugar syrup
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- Put the pork belly in a saucepan it just fits in. Best if the skin doesn’t get too wet.
- Add the stock, water, soy, star anise and ginger. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer VERY gently for 1/2 to 2 hours or until really tender. Remove and cool.
- Heat a grill to hot and place the pork belly under it watching it carefully until the skin has crisped up. It will pop and puff up.
- Let it cool until you can handle it, then cut into 1cm (ish) chunks.
- Place the syrup in a frying pan and cook a few minutes until it reduces a little, then add the pork chunks. Cook a few minutes until hot then add in the fish sauce, give it a toss and serve.